Thornton Salvation Army will present “A Festival of MUSIC” Concert at the Church of Christ, 1 Garnett Road East Maitland (Greenhills) on Saturday 23 October 2010 from 7.00pm.
The night will feature The Thornton Salvation Army Band led by well known Waratah Brass and Salvation Army musician/ Bandmaster Allan Humbley. He has augmented the band with additional players well known for their high standard of musicianship. They will present a night of both traditional and modern Army music including Marches, Festival Works and Cornet Solos.
Thornton will be joined by Cardiff Northlakes (CNL) Brass who will present the second half of the concert. This Band is conducted by Ron Boaden and has recently won The NSW State Band Championships held at Penrith 25 September . They are the present East Coast of Australia Champions as well. The band is well known for playing music that both entertains and touches the heart. They have selected a high quality programme which is to include items ranging from traditional, to jazz, to solo works, major movie themes and marches. A selection of some of CNL Brass works they will present include When I fall in love (Euphonium Solo), The Londonderry Air (Cornet Solo), Selections from The Lord of the Rings and the Chris De Burgh classic Lady in Red.
This night has several additional reasons for being presented:
- Thornton Band will be making a trip to West NSW Mudgee and Gulgong area the following weekend 30th and 31st October and this will be a chance to let an audience hear some of the works to be played on this trip.
- Thornton are also raising funds in support of the Salvation Army’s Western Area Rural Chaplaincy Service based at Dubbo managed by Majors Estelle and Robert Strong. This Chaplaincy Service deals with Farmers/ people on the land/ Rural who are experiencing difficult situations. We have all heard of the plight of those On the Land. This is the Salvation Army section that seeks to assist such in many various ways.
Funds from the Concert will be donated to the Chaplaincy Service whilst Thornton Band are on their upcoming trip. The night is designed to entertain all musical tastes and ages and will suite all types of audiences not just those from the Salvation Army.
This will be the first locally presented “Army” music night for some considerable time in this region and Thornton are looking forward to being able to share this night with Cardiff Brass Band and show an audience that their music is both modern, meaningful and great to listen to.
- What: Festival of Music featuring Thornton Salvation Army Band & Cardiff Northlakes Brass Band
- When: 7.00pm 23rd October 2010
- Where: Church of Christ, East Maitland (Greenhills) 2323
Tickets at the door $10.00 with under 15 years free.
Posted on October 7th, 2010 in General